The windshield is a very important part of a car that provides protection to the driver and the other passengers of that car from any object that may hit the car while running on the roads. So it is essential to maintain the windshield in best condition, for the interest of the car owner. But the windshield is the most damageable part of a car, as it is where all the unwanted collisions with debris or trees or animals occur, mainly during a long journey.
Nowadays, a laminated windshield is used in all the cars, to ensure best protection and lesser damage to the glass sheets fixed on either side of the laminated plastic coating. Still, the damage of a windshield is a common incident for all the cars and the damages can be of minor or serious nature. Often the car-owners try to mend the windshield themselves, if it is a mere chip or a crack. But it is essential that they know how to fix a windshield properly, without inflicting further damage to the glass sheets.
The method of repairing a cracked windshield yourself, without any professional help
- Firstly, for repairing his windshield himself, the car-owner need to have a complete DIY windshield repair tool kit from a reliable company, which is usually provided with a detailed instruction sheet, a bottle of resin, a pair of sleeved razor blades and other tools required for repairing the windshield damage.
- In case of a small crack, the car-owner needs to remove the air from the cracked portion and then immediately fill it up with the resin evenly, which makes the windshield more hard-wearing.
- But in case of a replacement of windshield, he should be more careful while bringing out the broken windshield, by detaching the wipers and rear view mirror carefully and taking out the rubber gasket from the windshield glass with a screw driver. Next adequate pressure will be needed to exert on the glass from the inner side, to squeeze it out of the frame and taken out with care. A new windshield of good quality should be bought and the cleaned rubber gasket has to be slipped around this new windshield with utmost care. The sealant resin is applied to the rubber gasket and the frame, to fix the new windshield safely.
The important factors that are needed to be known while fixing a windshield yourself
- Like any other work, the fixing of windshield damage also needs a good amount of knowledge and certain expertise about this job; else the car-owner can end up in cracking the windshield further or even shattering it into pieces, which may then need to be replaced totally, with the help of a professional technician.
- The instruction sheet should be read carefully and strictly followed, to avoid any further damage on the windshield. The crack should not be wet at the time of repair; else the resin will not be dried easily and may even come off. The repairing work is better to be done in the shade, as direct sunlight may dry up the resin even before the repairing work is fully complete.
- Any little crack or chip on the windshield should be repaired immediately, to prevent the damage from extending further and before the crack of the car is further polluted with dirt and water. But when the crack is longer or bigger, the DIY kit cannot work as well as the professional repairmen to fix a windshield. When the damage extends to both the layers of glasses of the windshield, the kit tools cannot be put into use.